Thursday, November 27, 2008

Bedlam

I'm going to be as brief as I can.

I hold no particular crazy ideas that my Cowboys are likely to take down the Sooners on Saturday. Can it happen? Absolutely, I've seen it done - at home, on the road, close game, easy win (only once on that one). But the reality is that OU is really good this year and it'll take a much more inspired performance from the Pokes than we saw against Texas Tech to have a chance against the Sooners. But none of this is the reason for the post.

This week ESPN's College Gameday is going to be held in Stillwater. I'm only aware of this happening one other time - also a Bedlam matchup and we won't talk about the outcome. I'm excited for the Gameday guys to be in my old stomping grounds, going to Joe's, etc.

One of ESPN's commercials this week (one of it's "Every week can change the season" series) includes a type-set frame showing b-roll from both OU and OSU games this season that says "Every rivalry game is bedlam."

WRONG!

One, that is a term that OU and OSU have adopted for their series of meetings in the gambit of sports each year. That term, while not copyrighted that I'm aware of, is specific to this rivalry.

Two, not all rivalries are the same. I'm not saying that the OU/OSU rivalry is the greatest in the country (I think it is, but that's not what I'm saying here so back off all of you Ohio State / Michigan fans - but really this isn't a good year to make that particular argument). I am saying every rivalry isn't the same.

Oklahoma certainly isn't the only state to have 2 large, Division 1 schools that have for several decades been in the same conference, but that's no gimme either. When I moved to Missouri I had to learn that most of the wonderful people in this state don't even understand that OU and OSU are separate schools - here in MO there's always just been MU (though MSU is in the process of raising it's profile). Some states who do have multiple big schools have them in different conferences and this tends to take away from the intensity of the rivalry (in my opinion) because the outcome of all their games don't directly correlate to the success of the season in all cases.

I would also argue that the depth and intensity of this rivalry is deeper and higher than some others. This rivalry runs deep, dividing the state, cities, and lots of families. And please understand, it's difficult (and in my opinion not possible) to not choose a side. Each school has a distinct history and heritage and those who are aware of those tend to identify with what they see as the ideals of their school / team. At least I hope that's why we choose our sides and not something stupid like they've won some titles.

Want a representation of how deep this runs? When I moved to Joplin, I owned 1 red shirt (that I can remember, there might have been 1 other). I went to a high school whose rival was red and white, then went to OSU. I had no use for anything red. Times have changed a little and I'd like to think I've grown up a little too. My closet is now fairly well stocked with WC red (no crimson & cream - really, who thought the cream part was a good idea?).

Let's be clear, Bedlam is serious business.

I won't get to watch the game live, we'll be on the way back from watching WC play for a state title. Please don't call me or text me about it - and yes, I'll ignore your call if you do. I may DVR the game and try to watch enough to know the outcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home