Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Coffee Test

Yes, I’m sure I could write something worthwhile about how to judge a good cup of coffee. In fact, let’s just do that real quick. If I can see the bottom of the cup (even if it’s a small cup) that’s not a good sign. I used to be pretty easy to please when it came to coffee and I’ll still drink about whatever is available, but I’ve figured out that most restaurants brew really, really weak stuff that isn’t great anyway. You can tell immediately when someone is serving the good stuff – dark, rich, and strong.

Now, back to business…

In a seminar at the Rejuvenate Marketplace this week Dean Jones (previously identified as the Meeting Planner for this particular event) was taking a group through how to write a good RFP (Request For Proposal) when he said something I thought was really perceptive. We were talking about how to get a handle on meal pricing for a prospective venue when planning an event years in the future when he said, I can tell you in less than 1 minute whether I’m going to be able to afford meals at a property.…I just ask what they charge for a gallon of coffee. It was good that he finished his statement quickly or he’d have lost me. He continued, if they're charging $75 for a gallon of coffee the dinners will start at $50/person, breakfasts at $24, and lunches at $35 and I can’t afford to do meals at the property. But if they're charging $20/gallon for coffee breakfasts will be $18… (I would have listed quote marks, but didn’t want to be guilty of misquoting him and I’m sure my notes aren’t perfect)

You get the impression that Dean might have planned a few events to know what prices will be based solely on the coffee. Given how few meal functions we’ve planned at hotels in my time at CIY that was a great insight and will probably save me some time whenever I’m asked to figure out meal costs for a catered event. The one thing he didn’t say was whether that was Starbucks coffee or just whatever the caterer serves. Either way it was helpful to get some insight into that subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home