Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving 2008

I would be amiss not to take a moment (at least) to identify some things that I am thankful for this year. This is certainly not an exhaustive list, just a few that come to mind and they are in no particular order:

- My wife - We've been married about 3 1/2 years now and I have a hard time remembering much about what life was like before she came along. I am certainly blessed to have her.

- A job - I do feel particularly blessed to have the job that I do, certainly working at Christ In Youth is a great opportunity. Even beyond being thankful for my specific job I am thankful to have meaningful work. I believe God wired us to work and so I am thankful to have that opportunity. Also, in a difficult economy I am thankful to be employed.

- Family - We are blessed to have several groups of people who love us dearly because they are our families. It is easy to take family for granted when you are young, but the older I get, the more I realize that not everyone is so lucky and tomorrow is not guaranteed.

- Freedom - Yes, I know it's borderline unacceptable in today's ministry culture to be patriotic, get over it this isn't about patriotism. I'm thankful for the men and women who have fought to defend the liberty that we enjoy (and often take for granted, such as when we don't like what's going on, but don't want to listen to anyone else's ideas). Thousands and thousands have given their lives in defense of the freedom we enjoy. A side note. On a flight this week, a United Airlines crew gave an open first class seat to a young man in his Army uniform who was traveling with us. If you see someone in the military today, thank them for their service.

- Football - Yes, this one is markedly less important than the others, but I'm still thankful for it. I'd list NASCAR, but anyone who reads my blog knows that about me anyway, plus that season is over (but February is coming!).

- Jesus - I'm listing this one last, but in reality He is first. His sacrifice has opened the door for all of mankind to be restored to God if only they will accept Him. It is easy to get used to and comfortable with the story of what Christ did on the cross, but don't forget that He didn't have to and without Him you'd have no hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home