Saturday, January 31, 2009

How Not to Park at the Gym

Last Sunday afternoon I was at the gym, had just started my cardio when suddenly there was a loud crashing noise. The crashing noise was followed closely by things along the east wall of the gym scattering and a scream by the young woman working behind the counter. Moments later a crack could be seen running down the sheet rock on the wall and about 30 people running to the exit to see what had just happened.

You guessed it, a car had hit the gym. I never got a straight answer about what happened to cause the car to jump the curb and hit the building. I think it was one of those things where the driver hit the gas instead of the brake as he/she was parking the vehicle.

There were no apparent injuries. Over the next hour there was a lot of sighing and retelling (and by the way, it happened between 2:35 and 2:40pm, every version I heard someone tell had it off by at least 10 minutes and some by far more than that - trust me, I was probably the only one looking at the clock immediately after it happened because I didn't go running out the door to gawk) of the incident. The police came, the gym owners came. I think the people driving the car actually came in to lift for a while as they waited for the police - though I'm not 100% sure the people I identified as the driver & passenger were in fact the ones in the car.

The gym staff used the most logical thing to close the cracks in the wall until it could be repaired - duct tape. Hey, baling wire wasn't going to work on this one, what else were they going to do?

You just never know what you're going to see at the gym.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home