Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Signs of Spring

While I hate winter in Joplin, at least we get the occasional nice day (fewer this winter than the last two). Some just enjoy days like today (high near 60, sunny, southwest wind), days like today are what get me through January and especially February. Why? Because I don't do well when days are short and sun is scarce. So one nice day goes a long way toward getting me through another Missouri winter.

Today was so nice that it felt like spring. Speaking of, here's my list of events each winter that give me hope for the coming spring:

1. The Daytona 500 - Scheduled for February 18th this year, the start of the NASCAR season is the first sign that warmer days are coming. Early season races are held in warmer locations (Daytona, SoCal, Texas, Las Vegas, etc.), so watching on Sunday afternoon usually means watching an event in a warm(er), sunny location. On my calendar, winter lasts from the checkered flag at Homestead (the last race of the season) to the green flag at Daytona. Thankfully there's lots of football in there to keep me going.

2. MLB opening day - The date on this one changes a little year to year, but usually falls in early April. Spring training starts in late February or early March. I figure if they call them the "boys of summer" the start to their season must mean warm weather is coming. Teams have perfected hybrid grasses that allow fields in cold climates to be lush and green even early in the season.

3. Daylight Savings Time - This one tracks pretty close to the NASCAR season and even more so with the extension that President Bush approved. If there is anything that drives me crazy about winter it's going to work in the dark each morning and coming home in near dark each evening. Once this blessed man-made creation kicks in at least it's still light out when I come home each day.

4. NCAA tournament - The pinnacle event of college basketball falls the last weeks of March, first of April and signals the end of winter sports. The NBA doesn't count.

5. Easter - Dates change, but nothing says warm weather like a free pass on white pants from the fashion police. Who really wears white pants anyway? Doesn't seem practical to me, no way you're keeping them white very long. On a more serious note, this family oriented celebration of the resurrection of Christ usually falls in the time period when the weather is starting to warm up. It is worth noting here, that my grandmother says there's always one cold snap after Easter. I don't have the data to confirm or deny her assertion, but I suspect this is more true when it falls in mid-March than in early April.

6. Spring Break - While it's often cold during spring break here in Missouri, Britt and I have developed a habit of going to warmer places for the week (okay, really we've only done it once, but we have a second trip scheduled for this year). Being on vacation in a warmer climate gives me a chance to wear shorts for a few days. And my motto is, "any day I get to wear shorts is automatically a better day than one I have to wear pants." Call me strange, I just like wearing shorts. Matt Foreman is my hero because he's the one guy at CIY that works in the garage enough to get to wear shorts pretty much all year.

7. Car washing - During the cold months I wash cars only when I absolutely have to. When spring comes I am a lot more likely to break out the bucket and hose. Sitting inside this evening with all 3 cars clean outside/in the garage makes me feel like spring is coming. Now tomorrow when it's back to the 20's and 30's I'll forget all about it, but for tonight spring is just around the corner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home