Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Customer Service 101

I want to disclose right up front that I am not the resident expert in the Conference Department on customer service. That said, I do consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on the topic. Customer service is very important to us at CIY, we serve local churches, youth workers, and students by presenting the Gospel through programs and resources. The fact that serving is right there in the description of what we do should indicate the importance we place on serving customers.

Recently I received an offer for a very well known business publication in the mail. In deed the offer was so good that I decided to take them up on it. I mentioned what I'd recieved to Chase, who also being a b-school guy, commented he wouldn't mind getting that magazine for that price. So before I mailed my check I called the customer service number. After finally convincing the automated system that I didn't have an account number, but still needed to talk to someone (the subject of automated phone systems alone could be the subject of several volumes on customer service) a woman came on the phone. I explained to her that I was about to send in this offer I'd received, but had a coworker that would like to subscribe as well. I then asked if she could send out the same offer to him.

Now in the world of buying and selling "hot lead" databases you've got to catch the significance of what is happening here. I was offering her a "hot lead" free of charge and as a matter of fact, they didn't even have to ask me to do it, I offered it all on my own. In the magazine business that would seem to be dominated by 3 things - number of subscribers, which helps generate all important ad revenue, and publication content - my offer was gold.

Her response? Those offers are sent out randomly, there's no way that I can have one sent out.

Taken aback I thought maybe she'd misunderstood, so I tried again. So you mean you don't want an additional subscriber? I'm just trying to throw you some business here.

Yeah, I can't really do that.

Now I wouldn't have been shocked if she'd transferred me to someone else and the transfer marathon had ensued (they transfer you 26 times, then the .2 in this marathon is when you hang up while on hold - sorry, bad attempt at runners humor during a business post). But she just said they weren't interested. Apparently this magazine has so many subscribers that it doesn't need more. She could have easily taken the information and sent him a lesser offer if the one I recieved was in fact as special a deal as the material claimed.

Lesson: When someone wants your product or service it is never a good idea to just blow them off. Now sometimes in business there are customers that cost you more than having them as a customer is worth (this is rare and is generally only seen in the B2B world). But when you are in a business that thrives on having people buy your product or use your service you are missing the boat when you turn "hot leads" away cold.

At CIY things are a little different. This is a ministry, dollars are not our bottom line - changed lives and Kingdom expansion is. However, if we treat those who participate in our programs (essentially they are our customers) poorly they will find other programs and resources for their ministries (there are lots out there to choose from). As such, we work very hard to make sure our "customers" have a positive experience from the time they register, through the event, and afterwards. There are certainly incidents each year that result in a youth minister, student, or parent being less than fully satisfied. We work to address those concerns when we are aware of them. The one thing we strive to always do is conduct ourselves in a Christ-like manner, treating others with respect. If a youth minister or student comes away from a CIY event and was treated with respect and the love of Christ that is a customer service win for us. It is of course a bigger win if they return the following year with friends or tell other ministries about the event because they had such a positive experience. (Please note: I'm dealing strictly with customer service here, our primary goal is always that the students encounter Christ and be challenged with or in a relationship with Him. Customer service is an auxillary component of what we do that helps feed the primary component - ministry.)

Oh, and we certainly don't turn away contact information for churches or youth ministers that our current customers try to give us. So if anyone reading out there knows of a church that doesn't currently attend CIY programs, but could benefit from them please give our offices a call (417-781-2273), we will gladly get receive that information. Or check CIY out on the internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home