Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Round 2: WC v. Carthage

Globe Article

I'm wrong a lot, so when I get something right I have to fight hard not to make a big deal of it. If you read my post following the first round game against Branson, in my comments about the round 2 game against Carthage I predicted:
1. "I don't know why, but I suspect we didn't see Carthage's best game that [the first time they played] night. I fully expect the second match-up to be a battle."
2. "If they [WC] execute they will win this game."
3. "It wouldn't shock me to see Pat [Drake] have a huge performance."

Two out of three for sure, it's debatable whether Carthage played better than the first time. I think they showed more ability to stop WC at points and move the ball, but they had so many turnovers that it didn't matter.

The bottom line is that WC came out firing and rolled on to the next round.

Patrick had a huge game. No shock when he kept it on an option around the left side on the first drive and ran 55 yards into the end zone. No great shock when he scored the 2nd touchdown. But Pat wasn't done. He finished with 5 rushing TDs and 1 passing. For the record, I had no idea Pat running a lot was part of the game plan. Coach Roderique said after the game that he told Pat going in he was likely to have to run more, I didn't know that when I made my comments last week. What it comes down to is Carthage's defense chose to come down on the veer back and then take the pitch back instead of forcing Pat to make the pitch. Net result was #5 in the end zone a lot.

The defense for WC was good. One big play and one actual drive was all Carthage managed. Aside from that the defense made stops and forced turnovers (1 fumble recovery and 4 INTs).

Looking ahead to Saturday, WC will travel to Bolivar - a rematch of the 3rd round game held in WC a year ago.

This will be the first opponent in a while that WC hasn't had several common opponents with coming in. The book on Bolivar seems to be that they are balanced on offense and have a good QB and WR/DB.

A local sports guy said on Monday night that "Bolivar has a hard time stopping the run, and that doesn't usually work out too well when you're playing Webb City." I have no idea if that's true or not, but thought it was a great quote.

I'm looking for WC to pound the ball on the ground with one of its senior running backs returning to the field.

I do expect WC to win this game, but it's no gimme. As will be the case going forward, protecting the ball and stopping big plays on defense will be key.

SBU football stadium, 1:30 Saturday. Be there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home