Saturday, October 10, 2009

Week 7: WC at Branoson (Mud Bowl 2009)

Globe Article


Operation Pigskin Highlights


In a world where a lot of high school teams play on field turf, even the concept of playing a game in mud is kind of foreign. Branson is one of only 3 opponents WC will face this season on natural grass (playoffs TBD). So to have several inches of rain in the days leading up to the matchup set the stage for something very rare - a muddy mess.

When we walked in, I could immediately tell that something was weird because the end of the field where WC was warming up was destroyed. The end where Branson was almost looked like no one had been on it. I was told later that Branson didn't do much in the way of drills.

Sideline reports (from the team chaplain) said it was every bit as sloppy as it looked like from the stands.

The game itself was fun to watch, but probably didn't tell us a ton about where WC is at headed into a big matchup with Carthage next week.

WC definitely looked sharper than a week ago against Neosho, but they also weren't tested in the trenches.

Braxton Baker had a good night. I haven't found the official number, but I think he had right at 200 yards (163 in the first half) and 4 touchdowns. A muddy field works for Braxton, he seemed to like it and it fits his style (which is mostly to run over anyone in his path). I played with a guy in high school who got nicknamed "Muddy" because of a game like last night. Watching Braxton drill people while covered in mud reminded me a little of that high school teammate.

Bart Starkey nearly scored a touchdown on an interception. He returned it like 60 (may have been more) yards to the 4 yard line. I really wanted him to get in the end zone, but it didn't quite happen.

Andrew Kolb - an offensive lineman - got a touchdown when the Cards showed a new look, lining up in the I-formation with Baker at tailback and Kolb at fullback. One fan that's been around much longer than I have couldn't remember the last time he saw WC show the I-formation. The point was well taken (though I think they showed that look once last week in short yardage).

Something else we saw last night was a single back set with Patrick under center. I'm not sure if it's considered part of their Posse package - which usually has Pat in the shotgun - or not. In this one, the Cards had Baker as the lone back in the backfield, one tight end and 3 receivers. It was an interesting look. Not sure if we should expect to see more of that or if they were just trying it out.

In the end, WC rolled 49-7 and now stands at 7-0 headed into District play and a big matchup at Cardinal Stadium with Carthage who handled Republic 20-0 last night.

I've been trying to watch Carthage highlights to get a feel for how good they are. Honestly, I'm not sure. They seem to have some firepower in the offense - even with Derryberry gone. What I'm not sure about is how good they are in the trenches. They lost to Nixa, but got by Neosho. I expect it to be a big night and huge crowd on homecoming and opening night of district play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home