Saturday, August 09, 2008

Olympics Day 1

Haven't checked the medal count yet, but the body count stands at 1 American, 1 Chinese.

Article

Everyone has been quick to say that that the attack was random. While I'm sure the victim was a random selection, I'm not buying that the attacker wasn't targeting Americans. The guy apparently lived 700 miles from Beijing. If he didn't care who he killed I doubt he'd have traveled that far.

My wife was dead right when she made the comment that if these games were being held in the US and someone from China was stabbed on day 1 the world would be all over us.

I am very fearful for our athletes, coaches, families and spectators. The decision of the IOC to put the Olympics in China was a colossal mistake - if for no other reason than that the air quality is so bad that outdoor endurance events aren't really advisable. And I'll just leave the whole intrusive surveillance issue alone.

What I hope happens is that the athletes can manage to overcome all the distractions and overshadow the politics of it all. And I'll say this, when it comes to sport, I will make no apologies for hoping that Team USA dominates. We didn't go there to kiss sisters or share, we went there to win. History says home soil is an advantage, so for the US to win the overall medal count will be a challenge, but we'll see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home