Friday, March 30, 2007

Boston Marathon in Space

I caught a short news spot this morning about one of the astronauts who is currently on the International Space Station competing in the Boston Marathon...while still in space. Suni Williams, who qualified for Boston by finishing the Houston Marathon in 3 hours, 29 minutes, and 57 seconds (a very good time), has been on the space station since December and will not return prior to the race on Patriots Day (Monday, April 16th this year). So she contacted the BAA (Boston Athletic Association, who hosts the race) and petitioned to be an official participant by running on a treadmill on the space station.

This article gives some additional details. From what it sounds like, she will face some challenges from the harness that holds her on the treadmill and the fact that she's been in space for 4 months. I applaude her for making the effort. She mentions not wanting to let her qualification expire before she ran the race - personally I think I would have petitioned the BAA to extend my eligibility to the 2008 race so that I could run from Hopkinton to Boston with everyone else.

With all of that said, I would have a hard time claiming to have run Boston if I'd done it remote - either in space or in another country (I guess there are groups in the middle east - presumably US military - who will run a 26.2 mile race on Patriots Day as well) if I didn't crowd into the corrals (yes, that's what they call them) and run the course itself. While running a marathon distance is an admirable achievement for anyone, to claim that you've run Boston without physically hauling your butt (yes, I said it) up Heartbreak - which is preceded by a series of hills that span 5 miles and culminate in a long climb at mile 21 known as Heartbreak Hill - and crossing the finish line in front of thousands and thousands of spectators to me cheapens the achievement for those who have been there and done it.

I guess it's the same as anything else that some people have to earn in a specific way and then others are given an easier path to or simply awarded based on no specific requirements (think honorary degrees that Universities give out), those things are just more hallow because there was no price, no sacrifice in it. This reminds me of something David (in the Bible) said in II Samuel 24:24 - about not sacrificing something that cost him nothing. That's really a different thing, but this topic just brought it to mind.

I don't want to bash Ms. Williams, as I said, what she is doing is admirable, but I think she should probably try to make the trip to Boston next year and run the actual race. Doing it on a treadmill (or in some other remote location) simply is not the same. She is clearly a very good runner, so running Boston is well within her ability, but she won't have truly experienced Boston until she goes there. And after all, for those of us that aren't elite, competitive runners, the experience is a big part of why we would take part in a marathon in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home