Monday, December 18, 2006

Truth in Country Music

Call it result of spending my college years in a secular environment, but I find that I look for truth wherever I can find it. I find that there are a couple of theories about media in the Christian world. Some hold that Christians should only watch/listen to Christian media. Theory being that it avoids saturating your mind with things that are not Christ-centered. There is some truth here, and I am a proponent of Christian media - particularly when it is also good media. The other theory is that Christians should be selective about the media they consume, but that there is nothing inherently wrong with media from secular sources (presuming the content is not offensive).

I've walked both sides of the argument, but have concluded that part of the challenge the Church faces today in evangelising a very secularized world (specifically in the U.S.) is that we have resigned so many arenas of life to the World in favor of huddling in our own little groups. By doing so, those arenas of life have become overly worldly in many cases (I'm talking about everything from art to music to science). Unfortunately the world isn't turning off the radio or putting down their iPod full of secular music, bottom line for all the good Christian music does it's not currently causing world-wide revival.

If we accept Jesus' call to be in the world, but not of it and take the view that to fulfill His charge to be salt and light requires us to interact with people who don't already know Him I would argue that we are left with little choice but to begin reclaiming the ground long ceded to the world. That means the importance of having Christian artists, musicians, scientists, etc. is huge. And I don't mean people who do those things just for other Christians. I mean the Church has to begin raising up people who will take their faith into those fields (as well as into corporate America and the rest of society) and honor Christ in the midst of a secular audience.

I tend to look for people who seem to be doing this - or who I think might be. In some cases I don't think they are even doing it all that consciously. One area that I find truth being communicated is in country music. Sure, we see it in pop music as well. It hasn't been long ago that MercyMe had a song with the most blatantly Christian lyrics I can think of go to the top of the charts. Switchfoot has had secular success. But what I've found is that if you listen to the music being released by some country artists you'll find at the least a thread of faith that remains in that genre (where it has largely been extinguished in others).

Of course I realize that danger of naming names or songs, certainly I do so without the benefit of knowing individuals or their character. And some of these same artists may well have or will release other music that is not Christ-honoring. And they may be found to be living in ways that are not Christ-honoring.

There is a cultural difference in country music from pop, R&B, etc. - it is more culturally acceptable to write, record, and perform songs that deal with God, faith, prayer, church, etc. in country music. Now the next track on the album may be about drinking your cares away or an illicit affair, but recording songs dealing with faith doesn't seem to sandbag most country artists.

My point here is not to Christianize country music. My point is that I believe that truth is truth if it's really truth (regardless of where you find it). If someone sings a song that accurate portrays Christ or some aspect of Christian faith the truth in that recording is no less true because it was sung by someone who is not on a Christian label or even by someone who is not a Christian or at the least not a faithful one. If something is true it is true.

So what's the point?

1. Christians shouldn't be so withdrawn from what's going on in society that they can't have a coherent conversation with someone who is lost. Part of that may have to do with being at least vaguely familiar with the music, tv, movies, etc. that people are listening to and watching.
2. If we're going to try to meet people where they're at (Paul makes reference to this writing about becoming all things to all people and you can certainly find that he learned enough culture in the places he traveled to speak with intelligence when he opened his mouth), we should look for examples of truth in secular media (and life in general). If a country (or pop) musician who has millions of fans releases a song that portrays Christ accurately and someone is smart enough to use that as a way to start a conversation about Jesus with those fans I'd say that's using secular media in the right way.

With my treatise now out there, here is a list of six Christ-honoring country songs released (that I can think of in fairly short order) in the last several years. There are other good examples that I'm drawing a blank on, so these will have to do. [Note: this list got edited after I told my wife about the post, she had some suggestions.]

6. God's Will - Martina McBride. I stuck with country music only in this post, but I'd say Martina McBride is a little like Bono in that a lot of her hits have had Christian themes in them. Some more clear than others. This one isn't deep theologically, but has a great message.
5. You Move Me - Garth Brooks. I won't even begin to claim Garth as a Christian artist (though he is an OSU alum which is about the same thing, only kidding). But he recorded and released his own version of this song which was also released by Susan Ashton (who is a Christian artist). Again, remember I'm not defending the artist here, just the song.
4.When I Get Where I'm Going - Brad Paisley (w/ Dolly Parton). Brad sings all sorts of stuff and this isn't exactly a theological masterpiece, but does deal with issues of pain and death in a framework of Heaven and faith.
3. Amarillo Sky - Jason Aldean. Don't know much about this guy. Song is about a farmer going about his business praying for his family and crops in the hard life of a farmer out in the Texas panhandle. The video has clips of ag majors at a university (probably Texas Tech or A&M) being asked what they'll do when they're done with school. Most respond they'll go back to the family farm. My wife thought it was odd that farmers would send their kids to college if they were just going to return to the family farm. I enlightened her as to the origins of such schools as Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and others when it comes to educating those who will make agriculture a career. I guess maybe they don't have a College of Ag at MSSU.
2. Long Black Train - Josh Turner. I need to do some research on this guy (since he made my list twice), but from what I can tell he's fairly on the level. While possible to ignore the Christian lyrics of this song, the message is definitely there. The video weaves several stories of people in difficult life situations making choices.
1. Jesus take the wheel - Carrie Underwood. Thus far Carrie has remained above the fray and at last check was still on the approved artist list at KOBC (local Christian station). From all appearances she is a Christian woman from a little town in eastern Oklahoma. Hopefully she can continue to be true to Christ and record/perform music that is viable to both a secular and a Christian audience. This song was a huge hit for her and fairly blatant in its message.

There you have it. I'm not sure that music review was on my approved list of topics (I'll check with Johnny Scott on that one), but something in church yesterday morning sparked this train of thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home