Sunday, July 26, 2009

Observations from Tennessee

It's been a while since I posted and I haven't even thought a ton about it. But two weeks in Tennessee are always good for a few thoughts:

- I felt like the trip to Tennessee went pretty well. Ten hours and forty-five minutes from Joplin to Cleveland, TN with stops is good, probably the most efficiently I'd ever done it.
- But I still can't figure out what happened on the way home. I figured with a pregnant wife in tow we'd be somewhere over 11 hours even if all went according to schedule. However, somehow we came in under 10 hours and 30 minutes - including stops and 20 minutes at a dead-stop on I-24 because of an accident. My wife is pretty awesome. She made a move in traffic at one point that was highly impressive. And the fact that we didn't have to stop so she could pee for the last 4.5 hours of the trip is unbelievable to me.
- Hands are surfaces that can be effectively sanitized by spraying them with an antibacterial solution - regardless of whether that particular solution was originally designed with hands in mind. I'm just saying.
- There is something about Japanese food in Tennessee (which is strange), but the best I've ever had is there and I found a new favorite place to get it. If only there were carrots.
- Anything that might look like a fight club to someone who you wake up in the middle of the night probably isn't a great idea. I'm just saying.
- Even when you push 2 twin beds together it's still not quite the same as sleeping in the same bed with your wife.
- File this one away for future reference. Atlanta is only a 2 hour drive from Lee University. If there are flight delays it might be best to just rent a car and drive. Once you get delayed the first time the likelihood that you will leave when they say you will goes down exponentially.
- Brusters refused to serve us at 9:45 (they were closing at 10) because everything was already cleaned up. That didn't go over well when Eric returned a few days later and mentioned it to the manager. Next thing we know, we've got more buy 1 get 1 free coupons than we know what to do with. The Chick-Fil-A that was 2-doors down was more than happy to have our business that night.
- Boo-yah is a quickly overused phrase, but "fail" never gets old. The only question with "fail" is who will come up with the most appropriate title for a particular "fail".
- The special sauce and/or the flan will change your life and the server will ask.
- Not all barber shops are exactly the same. Right, Brad?

1 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Lori Lynn said...

John and I were *this* close to being at Lee this year with my hometown youth group... Wish we could've made it. I've heard awesome things about Move this year. You guys obviously have done a great job! Also... am I reading this right that you guys are expecting?!??! If so, I'm SO excited for you!! Hope it's all going well! Don't know if you know that we're expecting boy #3 in about a month. Life it about to get very exciting for us, I'm sure. It's so great following your blog and keeping up with some CIY news and Joplin friends!! Thanks for posting!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home