Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Sure, I'll be glad to paint that...part 2

I started on the project (described in my previous post) yesterday morning around 8am.

Step 1: Remove all the stuff that was sitting on the tables (TV, VCR - yes, we still own one of these, DVD player, Dish receiver, PS2, DVDs, VHS Tapes, pictures, Stereo, etc.).

Step 2: Dis-assemble the tables
- This was fairly simple, but took a lot longer than expected. Each one had 8 large bolts per main shelf (3 of these total) holding the legs to the table top. Most of these had to be pounded as far out as possible with a hammer, then reverse screwed out the rest of the way. The ones on the larger table were particularly difficult, dad had obviously only drilled holes just barely big enough for them to fit through.
- When this was completed I had 4 legs at ~18", 4 legs at ~36", 3 main shelf units (2"x4" framed plywood tops), and 1 piece of plywood that makes the lower shelf on the smaller table.

Step 3: Sand everything
- Here's to the power sander!
- I thought this would go fairly quickly, but it took about an hour. The 100 grit paper was fairly effective at removing the original finish. The table dad built definitely had more on it than mine did.
- The end result was a fine powder on everything - the floor, everything in my garage (the Firehawk was parked on the far end of the driveway, I had a feeling this might get messy), and the pieces of the tables. This fine powder resulted in the addition of an unexpected step.

Step 3a: Wipe the powder off everything
- I first tried the shop vac, which was fun and I needed to use to clean the floor anyway. After a call to dad, I ended up with wet papertowels wiping everything down. This added probably an hour to the project I wasn't expecting.

Step 4: Prime with Kilz 2 (water based)
- Finally at about 11:45am I cracked open the Kilz (something I had thought I'd do circa 9:30am)
- I used a sponge brush on this. I'm cheap and they're pretty effective, plus this isn't the top coat so I figured I could get away with it.
- This step took about 90 minutes.
- Had to leave a small area of each shelf unit unpainted so I could set them on that edge while the rest dried for an hour or so, I returned after lunch to finish those areas.
- I'm working with probably 70 sq. ft. of wood, so I was expecting to just about "kill" the quart of Kilz that I bought, but only ended up using about 1/2 of it. I hope that doesn't indicate I didn't use enough. Given that I don't really have anything I'm trying to cover up I think what I did will be sufficient.

That's what I've accomplished so far. I had intended to put the initial coat of Valspar Dark Kettle Black on yesterday as well, but knowing they needed to dry and then be fine sanded first I decided to mow the lawn yesterday afternoon instead.

With any luck today I'll get that sanding done and the first coat of black put on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home